homepage logo

High Tech North offers variety of programs

By Staff | Aug 6, 2011


High Tech North currently has 310 students enrolled in their full-time day classes for the first day of school on Monday, which may change due to their open enrollment not closing until Aug. 25.

High Tech North Director Michael Schiffer said they typically average between 300 to 325 students a year. Approximately 90 percent of the students enrolled are between the ages of 20-40 and the remaining 10 percent are high school students who are at least 16.

Due to the economic times, Schiffer said they have more adults in their 30s and 40s registering for classes, so they can learn new skills.

The health programs and information technology programs are the most popular programs at High Tech North, along with culinary arts staying strong.

The fully-accredited school currently has 22 programs, which fall under the categories of IT, health, hospitality, business and industrial.

The full-time day classes run from 8 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Schiffer said if a student is taking accounting classes, they are taking accounting all day five times a week.

He said the majority of the classes offered require 900 hours to complete, which amounts to a year.

“When you complete one year you are then issued a certificate,” Schiffer said.

Another program that has gained popularity is cosmetology, which was being offered for the first time last year. Pharmacy Technician is another program that is getting off to a good start, he said, due to CVS, Walgreens and Publix agreeing to train the students at their pharmacies.

Schiffer said almost all of the health care programs require clinical training. He said part of their training during their five day work week will be at various facilities like a hospital and an assisted living facility.

With the exception of some of the health programs, students do not need a high school diploma to register for classes.

“If you are going into some of our health programs, you have to have at least a high school diploma or GED,” he said.

The tuition to attend High Tech North is $1,500 a semester or $3,000 for the entire year.

“For most of our programs it costs $3,000 for tuition, which is a bargain compared to some of the private training centers and private colleges,” Schiffer said.

Since the school is an accredited school they have the ability to offer federal financial aid to their students.

Schiffer said students typically qualify for the Pell Grant, state grants and some local scholarships.

If students qualify for the pell grant they can receive up to $5,550, which provides extra money for the students after tuition is paid.

“You get your training in a short period of time, very cost effective and we have a lot of good financial aid available,” Schiffer said about High Tech North.

To register for classes, individuals need to meet with a school counselor in person. The TABE test is available for those who have been out of school for a while to measure where they are at in reading and mathematics.

The test is $15 and if remedial work needs to be done it is $30.

“It is a school that can help people get retrained and on course in a short period of time,” Schiffer said.

Enrollment will take place again in October and January.

High Tech North opened 18 years ago in 1993.

For more information visit www.hightechnorth.com .