homepage logo

Man found guilty in home invasion robbery awaits sentencing

By Staff | Jul 9, 2011

A man found guilty last week in a 2009 home invasion robbery that led to a shootout with police at a local Steak ‘n Shake is awaiting sentencing.
Jarrett Delshun Mundle, 21, of Fort Myers, was found guilty last Friday of first-degree burglary while armed possessing a firearm, attempted home invasion robbery possessing a firearm and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon possessing a firearm.
Samantha Syoen, spokeswoman for the State Attorney’s Office, reported that it took a jury 3-1/2 hours to come to a verdict.
Jurors also found Mundle not guilty of second-degree murder.
A sentencing date had not been set as of Thursday.
“Jarrett Mundle hasn’t been sentenced yet, so we will not comment on the case at this time,” Syoen said.
Defense attorney Jay Brizel represented Mundle.
He did not immediately return a message Thursday seeking comment.
Mundle and three others are accused of breaking into a Cape residence in December 2009, then getting into a shootout with officers at the Steak ‘n Shake on Pine Island Road East when police attempted to stop their car.
Officers fatally shot Tyson Lee Richardson, 21, of Lehigh Acres.
Mundle and Mike Borrell, 28, of Fort Myers, each sustained one non-life threatening gunshot wound.
Patrick Rhodes Nelson, 20, of North Fort Myers, was not injured.
All were charged with murder due to Richardson’s death.
Like Mundle, Borrell and Nelson also are facing the other three charges.
A fifth person, Christopher Maurice Williams, 24, of Fort Myers, was later charged after police reportedly found that he had been actively involved with the planning and execution of the home invasion that ended in the shootout.
Williams faces the same four charges as the others.
On Dec. 20, 2009, police received 911 calls from a residence in the 700 block of Northeast 15th Terrace that three or four people had entered the home wearing masks. One victim was struck in the head, and the intruders fired at least one round before fleeing, according to documents.
Responding officers observed a car fail to stop at a red light to turn right and they followed the vehicle. Police then tried to conduct a traffic stop on the vehicle in the Steak ‘n Shake parking lot, and the shootout between the vehicle’s occupants and officers ensued.
The State Attorney’s Office later determined that the officers had been justified in their use of deadly force in the incident.
Nelson and Williams have court appearances set for July 13.
Borrell’s next court appearance is scheduled for Aug. 9.