homepage logo

Cape man, arrested, accused of pawning stolen goods

By Staff | Jul 9, 2011

A Cape Coral man wanted for reportedly stealing items from his parent’s home and pawning them in 2009 was recently located by authorities.
Mark Richard Vann, 33, of 3038 S.W. 14th Ave., was arrested and charged Friday with four counts each of fraud false owner information pawned items less than $300 and dealing in stolen property, and one count each of larceny grand theft dwelling property $100 to under $300 and larceny grand theft $300 to less than $5,000.
He was sought for larceny grand theft $300 to less than $5,000.
As of Friday, Vann remained at the Lee County Jail.
He was denied bond.
In September 2009, Cape residents Ronald and Diane Vann returned from a vacation to discover that jewelry and power tools had been stolen from their home. The missing items were valued at more than $3,000, police reported.
The couple’s son, Vann, told his parents that a friend, Philip Walter Rayannic, had taken the items and pawned them at a North Fort Myers pawn shop. Cape detectives learned that Rayannic had pawned items from the couple’s home.
Rayannic, who is now 26, was arrested at the time and charged.
According to court records, he eventually pleaded no contest to dealing in stolen property and false verification of ownership identification to pawn broken, and Rayannic was not prosecuted on one count of grand theft.
He also pleaded guilty to probation violation.
During an interview with detectives, however, Rayannic told police that Vann had also stolen items from his parents and pawned them.
Detectives checked another shop and reportedly found that Vann had pawned several items that belonged to his parents.
According to police, before detectives could locate and arrest Vann, he fled to Michigan.
On Friday, authorities received a tip that Vann had came back to Florida and was in North Fort Myers. Cape police located and arrested Vann.
He reportedly admitted to stealing and pawning the items.
On Friday, father Ronald Vann said he had no comment on the case.
“Because we dropped the charges on that, a couple days ago,” he said.
Ronald Vann said he and his wife did so after their son’s arrest.
He explained that they knew about Rayannic’s involvement and following arrest and only later, after Vann had returned to Michigan, learned of their son’s involvement. They were unaware their son was being sought, so when he was caught Friday, they dropped the charges, Ronald Vann continued.
“We didn’t think that anything was happening at that point,” he said.
As of Friday, Vann had court appearances scheduled July 25 and Aug. 1.