Cape firefighters extinguish small fire at Wal-Mart
The Wal-Mart on Del Prado Boulevard was closed for an hour and a half Thursday while firefighters put out a small fire and then aired out the store.
Cape firefighters responded to a fire in a refrigeration unit in the meat and produce section of the Walmart Supercenter at 1600 Del Prado Boulevard at 4:55 p.m.
Firefighters evacuated the store and extinguished the fire.
The store remained closed for about 90 minutes while smoke and carbon monoxide levels returned to acceptable levels, officials said. Damage was contained to the refrigeration unit where the electrical short and fire occurred. The store reopened for business at about 6:15 p.m.
In other activity though a busy afternoon:
* Cape Coral firefighters helped rescue two dogs that fell into a canal frequented by alligators just south of Hancock Bridge Parkway on Thursday.
Shortly after noon, Cape Fire Dispatch received a call that two dogs had fallen into the canal. Family members had been looking for the dogs but were unable to locate them. Firefighters retrieved the dogs from the water and returned them to their frantic owners.
* After 3 p.m., Dispatch received a report of house fire at 417 S.E. 14th Terrace. A young girl found the laundry room on fire near the clothes dryer. The girl called 911 and then took her sister and the family bird outside the house. Firefighters attacked the fire and prevented additional damage to the home.
Source: City of Cape Coral