Electrical fire causes damage to Periwinkle business
On Monday at 5:35 p.m., members of the Sanibel Fire Rescue District responded to a major structural fire at Captivating Kitchens & Bath, located at 1554 Periwinkle Way.
The blaze caused extensive damage to the building, with an estimated loss of more than $350,000, including both the structure and its contents of high-end cabinetry.
“We believe the fire was electrical in nature,” said SFRD Chief Danny Duncan, following the May 24th inspection with the district’s new fire marshal, Rick Tassoni.
The building was unoccupied at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.
While the fire was being brought under control, traffic along the island’s busiest thoroughfare was rerouted to side streets — including Dixie Beach Boulevard, Center Street and Main Street — in order to avoid the emergency personnel working on containing the blaze.
The Iona-McGregor Fire Department and Sanibel Police Department also responded to the blaze, while members of the Captiva Fire District manned Sanibel’s Fire Station 1.
Jonathan Tongyai, owner of Captivating Kitchens & Bath, said on Wednesday that he plans on rebuilding the business, which was in the final stages of preparing to open. An inspection of the building had taken place last Friday.
“We’re gonna rebuild again,” said Tongyai, who reported that they were already experiencing a few “walk-ins,” with customers ready to do business. “We had just gutted the place and got everything inside brand new… but now we’ve gotta start over again.”
According to Tongyai, most of the damage was caused by smoke. However, one section of the roof will need to be completely replaced. He also credited the southern yellow pine — which has been part of the building since the 1970s — with resisting further damage to the structure.
“It’s a godsend that we had that material in there,” Tongyai added. “But still, it’s a big step back.”
(Executive Editor Jeff Lysiak contributed to this story.)