Hurricane seminar for the 2011 season set fpr June 1
The City of Sanibel will sponsor the 2011 Hurricane Seminar in an effort to accommodate the residents, property, business owners and island workers.
The seminar, scheduled to take place on Wednesday, June 1 from 1 to 3 p.m., is free and reservations are not required. It is very important to take the time to attend this Seminar to ensure that you receive all the current information in the City’s Hurricane Plan.
Main topics to be discussed will be the 2011 Hurricane predictions, Special Needs Programs, Family Hurricane Planning, and City of Sanibel Building codes. The seminar will be held at the BIG Arts Center located at Dunlop Road.
Featured speakers will include:
• Dave Roberts, the City of Sanibel’s weather consultant, will provide weather related information on hurricane formation, dangers associated with different categories of hurricanes and the dangers of storm surge.
• Matt Scott, Sanibel Fire & Rescue District Assistant Chief will discuss the Fire Department’s role.
• Gerald Campbell, Lee County Emergency Planning Chief, will review Lee County’s responsibilities and go over Hurricane Planning for families.
• Debbie Quimby, Lee County Coordinator for Special Needs Programs will discuss Hurricane Shelters & Transportation as well as Guidelines and Registration.
• Harold Law, City of Sanibel Building Official, will review City building codes.
• Bill Tomlinson, Chief of Police and City of Sanibel’s Emergency Management Coordinator, will be there for any other questions and answers.
If you have any further questions, contact Stephanie Dowd at 472- 3111 ext. 234.
Source: Sanibel Police Department