homepage logo

Man accused of barricading himself in home charged

By Staff | Mar 29, 2011

A Cape Coral man accused of barricading himself inside his home Sunday evening has been charged in connection to the incident.
Billy Jack Monday, 37, of 1461 Venetian Court, was arrested and charged Monday with one count of battery touch or strike domestic violence. He was booked into the Lee County Jail, where he remained Tuesday without bond.
At about 7 p.m. Sunday, Cape Coral police responded to a home on Venetian Court after receiving a 911 from a woman who stated that she had just fled her home. She said her husband, Monday, was inside and armed with a knife.
The woman reported that he was threatening suicide, that he may be under the influence of prescription medication and that he was acting irrationally. She added that her four children, ages 3 to 16, were asleep inside the home.
Officers arrived and met the woman outside. She told police that all of the the children were sleeping in different rooms and one child was asleep in the master bedroom. Attempts to reach Monday via phone were unsuccessful.
Officers also tried to contact him using the PA system in a patrol car.
Police eventually established contact with the 16-year-old inside via phone. Officers explained the situation to him and asked him to check on the other children. None were in their rooms, and he did not know where Monday was.
The teen told police that the master bedroom door was closed.
As police were putting a team together to enter the home, the teen told officers that two children were out of the master bedroom. Police told him to gather up the two and get to the front door, where police escorted all three from the area.
When the police team entered the home, the door to the master bedroom opened and Monday exited the bedroom. He was taken into custody without incident, and the unaccounted for fourth child was found safe in the room.
Monday was taken to a hospital for a mental health evaluation, according to police officials. Upon his release, he was charged and transported to the jail.
“Once again, quick decision making coupled with sound tactical execution saved lives,” Lt. Tony Sizemore, spokesman for the Cape police, wrote in a prepared statement Monday. “Our officers train and prepare for these situations, and it was very evident today.”
Monday has a court date scheduled April 26.
The reported victim could not be reached for comment.