Tickets for Island Gala selling well, list of live auction items announced
The Second Annual Island Gala — a fundraiser for The Onyx & Breezy Foundation — will be held at The Sanctuary Golf Club on Sunday, March 27. Mark and Wanda Shefts, co-founders of the domestic animal support group, will again host an evening of comedy, fine dining, dancing and both live and silent auctions.
“Even though the flyers and invitations have been out a short time, ticket sales have been strong,” reported Mark Shefts. “The buzz on the island from last year’s guests is ‘Don’t miss a great evening!'”
As part of the Island Gala festivities, which includes an open bar, three-course meal, music and dancing, comedienne Wendy Liebman will provide the entrainment for the evening. Winner of the American Comedy Award for “Best Female Stand-Up,” Liebman has appeared on “Late Show with David Letterman,” “The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson,” “HBO’s Women of the Night” and “Comic Relief VII.”
In addition, actor Ken Howard, national spokesman and executive board member for The Onyx and Breezy Foundation, will be in attendance.
Howard, who has played Thomas Jefferson in the film “1776” and a former Dunder Mifflin executive on the NBC series “The Office,” is proud to be associated with a foundation where 100 percent of all money donated goes directly to the welfare of animals.
“These days, people want to know where and how their donations are being spent,” said Howard, who was elected president of the Screen Actors Guild in 2009. “You can feel comfortable knowing your dollars are going to the care of the animals that so desperately need it.”
On Monday, The Onyx and Breezy Foundation announced the sponsors of the Second Annual Island Gala, which includes the Shefts, Specialists In Veterinary Surgery of Estero, Lily & Co. Jewelers, Over Easy Café/Island Paws, Kay Casperson Lifestyle Spa-Boutique, The Sanctuary Golf Club and Bailey’s General Store
Among the live auction items featured at the gala are:
• Gourmet dinner for four with Ken and Linda Howard and the trustees Wanda and Mark Shefts at their home on Sanibel. Choices of dates are March 29, 30 or 31. Take home a personally autographed basketball by “The Coach” of White Shadow, Ken Howard. * This item will be removed if Ken Howard’s prior film commitment is delayed. (Donated by Mark and Wanda Shefts)
• Cruise on the 45′ Cruiser “Onyx II” to Useppa Island with lunch for eight at the private club. Enjoy lunch, drinks and take home surprises. (Donated by Mark and Wanda Shefts)
• Hand-woven work of art. A 96” x 84″ intricately patterned silk jacquard. Handcrafted in India in the factory that exclusively weaves this item for Hermes. Can be used as a wall hanging, decorative throw or evening wrap. (Donated by Mark and Wanda Shefts)
• Dinner for eight at the Over Easy Café on Sanibel. Meal includes appetizers, dinner, dessert and wine. (Donated by Over Easy Café)
• Beauty inside and out package for two at Kay Casperson Lifestyle Spa-Boutique on Captiva. Your fabulous day includes: Private Yoga session for two, Couples Signature Massage, Couples Signature Manicure, Couples Signature Pedicure, Ladies Wash & Style, Makeup application, Men’s Hair Cut and Style. Also includes champagne and refreshments and a product gift to bring home. (Donated by Kay Casperson)
• A piece of jewelry designed by Charles Krypell. (Donated by Lily & Co. Jewelers)
• Piece of art by Guillaume Azoulay. The artist was born in French Morocco in 1949. “Vitesse” (speed in French) is a silkscreen Serigraph which takes weeks to produce as each color is applied individually through a silk mesh under the direct supervision of the artist. The piece is hand layered in genuine 23 karat gold and is hand-signed by Azoulay and contains a “remarque” (drawing underneath the serigraph) by the artist, making this a combination serigraph and original work of art. (Donated by Joel and Adria Marcus)
• Sunset Cruise for four aboard a Morris 36′ Sailboat, with cocktails and appetizers. Launching from Sanibel Harbor Yacht Club. (Donated by Doug and Cindy Crocker)
The Onyx & Breezy Foundation, created in 2004 by the Shefts to honor the memory of their two labrador retrievers, assists domestic animals in a variety of ways. The foundation lends financial support to the funding of equipment for medical facilities, much needed research and organizations that benefit animals.
In addition, the foundation helps provide medical treatment for animals where hardship is present as well as other endeavors that benefit the welfare of animals.
“The island has really gotten behind our cause, I think, because nobody else here is supporting the welfare of domestic animals,” said Wanda Shefts. “Every dollar that we raise, through fundraising efforts like the Island Gala, goes toward helping animals in Lee County.”
Tickets to the Island Gala are $150 and may be purchased by calling 239-850-9998. To learn more about The Onyx and Breezy Foundation, visit www.onyxandbreezy.org.