×
×
homepage logo
STORE

House fire cause attributed to candle deemed accidental

By Staff | Dec 30, 2010

A house fire Tuesday caused an estimated $40,000 in damage.
Fire units responded at about 1:20 a.m. to a home at 3623 S.E. 16th Place, according to the report. The two-story residence had “heavy fire venting” from a second floor window. One man was living at the home at the time.
Marko Plonsky told firefighters that he was sleeping upstairs and using a candle for light and heat when the fire broke out. The report states that “he was using candles to stay warm due to the lack of electric.” His parents, who own the home, had moved out the month before.
“This fire is ruled accidental in nature,” Battalion Chief Alan Carter, with the Cape Coral Fire Department, said.
According to the report, Plonsky attempted to get help from a neighbor before trying to put out the fire. He had little success, but he was able to escape with only singed hair, officials said. He refused medical treatment.
The fire was contained to a second floor bedroom, with heavy fire and smoke damage to the second floor. Firefighters reported that the second story of the house was fully engulfed by flames, which eventually breached the roof.
There were $1,000 worth of contents in the home also damaged.
The structure was red-tagged, deeming it uninhabitable.
Colin Downey, spokesman for the American Red Cross of Lee County, said the organization responded to the home but Plonsky has already left. He said they were told that the man did not require assistance from the Red Cross.
The home was valued at $260,000, according to the fire report.