homepage logo

Fire likely started by candle damages Cape home

By Staff | Dec 28, 2010

A fire broke out early this morning at 3623 S.E. 16th Place, a residence occupied by a single man. According to reports, the man, identified as Marko Plonsky, was sleeping upstairs using a candle for heat and light when the fire broke out.
The man attempted to extinguish the fire will little success but was able to escape with only singed hair. He refused medical treatment at the scene, authorities said.
According to Cape Coral firefighters at the scene, the second story of the house was fully engulfed by flames, which eventually breeched the roof. Fire crews extinguished the blaze and Lee County EMS assisted with crew rehabilitation during the fire.
It appeared the blaze began due to the use of a candle, as the electric power had been disconnected, officials said.
No one else was in the home at the time.