Freeze warning in effect for Southwest Florida next few days
The National Weather Service has issued a freeze Watch/Warning, along with a cold weather forecast for the next three nights.
* TONIGHT (Monday, Dec. 6): Clear with a low around 34. A FREEZE WARNING is in effect from 1 to 9 a.m. Tuesday morning.
* Tuesday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 35. A FREEZE WATCH is in effect from late Tuesday night through Wednesday morning.
* Wednesday night: Mostly clear with a low around 36.
Precautionary and preparedness actions:
– A FREEZE WARNING is issued for three or more hours of temperatures between 27 and 32 over a widespread area.
– Residents should cover or move indoors any cold-sensitive plants and bring pets indoors this evening.
– A FREEZE WATCH is issued for the potential of a widespread and damaging freeze within 24 to 48 hours. During the freeze period, temperatures may remain below 32 degrees for more than 8 hours.
– Be careful with space heaters. Keep away from flammable items, such as curtains and upholstery. Inspect the heater and electrical cord before use. Do not use extension cords.
– Make sure your smoke detector is working.
– Do not use charcoal or gas grills inside. They produce deadly carbon monoxide.
– Bring pets and potted plants inside. Cover outdoor plants.
– Protect wells and outdoor plumbing from freezing.
– Check on neighbors, friends and relatives. The elderly and children are especially vulnerable3 to cold temperatures.
– Stay indoors or dress warmly, in layers, if you will be outside.