Rep. Aubuchon to lead House Deepwater Horizon Response Plan
House Speaker Larry Cretul has appointed Rep. Gary Aubuchon, R-Cape Coral, to serve as Lead Coordinator for the Florida House of Representative’s Deepwater Horizon Response Plan. He has been asked to bring together six workgroups that will be expected to uncover problems and offer meaningful legislative solutions to the issues created by the oil spill and submit their recommendations to the Speaker by Aug. 31.
The six workgroups have been charged to explore the following:
– Evaluate the state’s response to current disaster and prepare for future disasters
– Assess the programs and resources needed to meet immediate needs of impacted areas
– Review the scope of private sector damages and the processes for compensation
– Develop strategies for public sector recovery of damages
– Identify regional long-term economic recovery opportunities
– Examine the adequacy of criminal and civil penalties to address offenses causing or arising out of environmental disasters
“I am honored to have the opportunity to coordinate efforts within the House to bring forward meaningful solutions for those most affected by the oil spill. I’m focused on providing real results to start the economic and environmental recovery,” Aubuchon said in a prepared statement.
Source: Office of Rep. Gary Aubuchon