×
×
homepage logo
STORE

Accidental carbon monoxide poisoning appears to be cause of two deaths

By Staff | May 20, 2010

Carbon monoxide poisoning appears to be the cause of death for two elderly residents after they inadvertently left a van running in the garage Wednesday night, officials said.
Rogelio Gonzalez, 80, and Shannon Lynnette Johnson, 75, were found dead in their home by a relative who had stopped by to check on them.
Official cause of death is pending toxicology results.
Cape Police and Fire units responded to a 911 call at At 7:26 p.m. reporting the discovery of the two bodies in the home at 228 S.E. 30th Street. A relative of Gonzalez’ said he arrived at the home and found the garage door open. When he entered the home to find Gonzalez, he found his body in the bathroom and then found Johnson’s body in the bedroom. Lee County EMS medics arrived on scene and pronounced both victims dead at 7:39 p.m.
While it appears one of the victims may have shut off the vehicle and opened the garage door to air out the area, the Cape Coral Fire Department’s Hazmat Unit found an elevated level of carbon monoxide in the home.
Emergency responders were checked at the scene by medics for carbon monoxide exposure, and one detective was transported to the hospital as a precaution.

Source: Cape Coral Police Department