Crist continues county commission interviews
Interviews continue to be scheduled with prospective applicants for the District 1 Lee County Commission seat as each application is examined.
“As we continue to review the applications, if there’s somebody qualified, then we’ll call them in for an interview,” said Jessi Freud, a spokeswoman for The Governor’s Office, on Wednesday afternoon. “There’s no final list.”
On Tuesday, Lee County School Board Member Robert Chilmonik met with Gov. Charlie Crist, making him the fifth applicant to interview for the seat left vacant by the death of Bob Janes. Four applicants met with Crist on Monday and included:
– Christopher Berardi, former Cape Coral City Council member
– Mike Jackson, former Cape Coral Economic Development director
– Carla Brooks Johnston, former Sanibel mayor
– John Manning, former Lee County commissioner and former Cape Coral City Council member
Janes died March 10 at age 78. His district encompasses Sanibel, Captiva, Pine Island and Cape Coral. Crist intends to pick someone to fill the seat until the November election, when Lee County voters can elect a commissioner to finish Janes’ term.
The term for the District 1 seat is set to expire in 2012.
There are 27 applicants for the appointment to the seat.
According to Sterling Ivey, the governor’s press secretary, there is no set time frame in which Crist must make the appointment. After the interviews, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement will conduct background checks.
Freud said Wednesday that Crist has not set a date by which to fill the seat.
“He has not indicated a timeline,” she said.
The remaining applicants who have not had an interview are:
– Noel Andress, real estate Broker and business owner
– Paul D. Asfour, former Cape Coral City Council member
– David Barton, former Cape Coral board member
– A.J. Boyd, former Cape Coral City Council member
– Linda Carter, executive director for Emergency Preparedness for the ADA Advisory Board of Southwest Florida
– John F. Cataldi Jr., former Cape Coral City Council candidate
– Wayne Daltry, former director of Smart Growth for Lee County
– Bill Deile, Cape Coral City Council member
– Donald Farrell Eslick, former Lee County committee member
– Gerald Finan, substitute teacher
– Susan Janes Flinn, owner of retail businesses
– Carletha Griffin, owner of a consulting business
– Sonny Haas, retired North Fort Myers Fire Department engineer
– Richard Hoffman, deputy sheriff with the Lee County Sheriff’s Office
– Donna Loibl, retired Matlacha resident
– Christian Meister, former and current candidate for Lee County sheriff
– Chelsey M. Perry Sr., retired Fort Myers resident
– Nicholas Sacca, formerly of Adecco Employment
– Bruce J. Scott, former state representative and Lee County commissioner
– Raliegh C. Scott, Lee County substitute teacher
– Cynthia J. Shafer, Realtor
– Donald Devoe Slisher, former Lee County commissioner