Roadwatch update: Feb. 18-Feb. 24
**I. Road Projects
* Bonita Beach Road – Road Widening Project East of Bonita Grande Drive -The week of Feb. 2, 2009, construction activities began on the widening of Bonita Beach Road east of Bonita Grande Drive. Construction activities are expected to last until March 2010. Proposed work includes the widening of approximately two miles of Bonita Beach Road from two lanes to four lanes. Work will also include rebuilding portions of the existing two lanes, installation of drainage and relocation of a force main. Two travel lanes will be maintained in order not to disrupt the flow of traffic in the area.
* Buckingham Road – Paved Shoulders from SR 82 to Neal Road -Work will begin Feb. 8, 2010 to add 4-foot-wide paved shoulders on Buckingham Rd. This work will require one lane to be closed during much of the work effort. Lane closures will be limited to off peak hours, after 9 a.m. and before 3 p.m.; however an alternate route is suggested. Work is expected to be complete by April 1, 2010.
* Colonial Blvd (CR 884) Six Laning from I-75 to State Rd 82 (approx. 2.7 miles in length)
Construction activities began on Monday, August 10, 2009. Proposed work consists of widening
an existing four lane highway facility, to a six lane urbanized divided highway. This will include
the installation of street lighting, signalization, bridge widening and utility modifications. Two 8-
foot-wide asphalt multi-use sidewalks along the north and south sides of the road will be added.
The tentative completion date is April, 2011.
* Colonial Blvd – Utility work will be ongoing around Treeline Avenue on both the north and south side of Colonial for the next several weeks for relocation of utilities. Work will be
ongoing under the I-75 Bridges along Colonial. Construction Traffic is heavy, so please drive
through the area with caution.
* Florence Ave & State Rte 80, Shandler’s Community Park Entrance – On Feb. 2, 2010, construction activities anticipated to take two weeks will begin. The proposed work will remove the SR 80/Florence entrance. Access to the park can be obtained from Royal Palm Park Road.
* Gladiolus Drive Widening from Pine Ridge Road to Winkler Road – Construction activities are continuing on Gladiolus Drive and on Bass Road to widen Gladiolus Drive from 2 lanes to 6 lanes from Winker Road to Bass Road and to 4 lanes from Bass Road to Pine Ridge Road and to widen Bass Road from 2 lanes to 4 lanes from Health Park to Gladiolus Drive. Motorists are advised that a lane reduction is in place on the westbound approach of Gladiolus Drive to Winker Road. Construction activities are currently occurring through out the corridor. Lane closures may occur and will typically be at night time between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. with some work occurring off the roadway during the day. The tentative completion date is Summer, 2010.
* The contractor is anticipating shifting westbound traffic onto the new pavement between Bass Road and Winkler Road on Thursday, Feb. 18. Motorists are advised to be aware of new traffic patterns throughout this segment as lane configuration will be changing.
* The Contractor is anticipating activation of the signal at A&W Bulb Road and Gladiolus Drive the week of Feb. 22, the signal will operate in flash mode prior being placed into full operation. In the event of delays the activation of the signal may be postponed until the week of March 1.
* Lee Blvd/ Sunshine Blvd. -Intersection of Lee Boulevard/Sunshine Boulevard – On Feb. 20, 2010, construction activities anticipated to take 5 months to complete will begin. The proposed work will extend along Sunshine Boulevard approximately 1000′ each direction from Lee Boulevard; and includes the addition of a left turn lane and traffic signal modifications.
* Sanibel Toll Plaza Bicycle/Pedestrian Improvements – Work will begin Feb. 8, 2010 to add paved shoulders/construct a bike path through the toll booth area. McGregor Blvd. will be resurfaced through the limits of the work area and additional boat trailer parking will be added for the boat ramp. All through travel lanes will remain open during day light hours; activities requiring lane closures (resurfacing) will be done at night. Work is expected to be complete by April 30, 2010.
* Summerlin Road from Cypress Lake Dr. to Boy Scout Road – work continues on widening the southbound roadway from north of College to Cypress Lake, and on the northbound roadway
near Boy Scout Road. Work on the retaining wall on the south side has been suspended due to the
presence of asbestos and will resume once a determination of the amount and disposable method
has been approved. Work on the retaining wall on the north side of the intersection is under way.
Traffic will be shifted to the new northbound lanes north of Maple Ave. and work in the median and on the southbound lanes from Maple Ave. to Boy Scout Rd. will begin the week of Feb. 15. Completion date is summer of 2010.
* Pine Island Road – South of the Matlacha Bridge – Maintenance work will be starting on Feb 11 on two small bridges in this area. We will be working from 7 p.m. until 4 a.m. This will run for 6-8 weeks. There will be lane closures and we will be flagging traffic.
** III. Landscaping
* Summerlin Road – Landscaping – Lee County DOT Operations will be managing the installation of irrigation and landscaping along Summerlin Road, between Sanibel Island and Gladiolus Drive. This project is scheduled to be completed in late March 2010. Lane closures and traffic impacts may occur.
**IV. County-Wide Road Resurfacing
* Resurfacing various streets countywide began May 5, 2009 and will last for 12 months.
** V. County-Wide Sidewalk Construction
** VI. Signal Work
* SR 80 & Ortiz – Beginning 1/19/10 Major Signal repairs to begin at SR 80 & Ortiz. The work is
planned maintenance in conjunction with road work. Expect delays until March 1.
Source: Lee County Department of Transportation