homepage logo

Fire cause determined to be electrical

By Staff | Jan 28, 2010

The cause of the fire that displaced eight people and caused $225,000 in damages was accidental and electrical in nature, officials have determined..
The State Fire Marshal’s Office assisted in the investigation, city spokesperson Connie Barron said in a prepared statement.
The house fire, which occurred Monday, forced eight individuals and two family pets out of their home after they received an early warning from their fire alarm.
Barron said emergency workers had received the call at 12:07 a.m. at 5307 Skyline Boulevard and firefighters responded to a significant fire burning in the garage area.
“Our firefighters did a great job,” she said, especially with the wind conditions that morning. Firefighters were able to prevent the flames from spreading into the living room, she added.
Barron said the family escaped from their home with no injuries due to an early warning from the fire alarm.
The occupants were staying with friends, she said.
The electric power to the house was disconnected and red tape outlined the perimeter of the garage area while yellow tape surrounded the other side of the house, Barron said.
She explained that the yellow tape means that repairs need to be done to that section of the house before the family can return to their home.
The fire caused $225,000 in damage, which included two vehicles that were parked in the garage area, Barron said.