homepage logo

Fire causes $90,000 damage to Cape home

By Staff | Dec 28, 2009

A fire at a Cape Coral residence Sunday night was accidental and caused by an extension cord connected to the home’s Christmas tree lights in the living room, officials said Monday. The fire caused about $90,000 in damage.
Cape fire units were called to a report of flames showing in a window at 624 S.E. 11th Ave. at 10:12 p.m. When units arrived, neighbors were using garden hoses to apply water to the residence, and only smoke was visible in the home.
Primary and secondary searches found no one home, and the fire was out by 10:30 p.m.
LCEC shut off the power to the home, and a city of Cape Coral building inspector red-tagged the residence.
The Red Cross responded to assist the homeowner, who arrived shortly after the fire was extinguished.