Roadwatch update: Dec. 17-23
The Lee County Department of Transportation has released the following road updates for Dec. 17 through Dec. 23:
* I. Road Projects
– Bonita Beach Road – Road Widening Project East of Bonita Grande Drive -The week of Feb. 2, 2009, construction activities began on the widening of Bonita Beach Road east of Bonita Grande Drive. Construction activities are expected to last until February, 2010. Proposed work includes the widening of approximately two miles of Bonita Beach Road from two lanes to four lanes. Work will also include rebuilding portions of the existing two lanes, installation of drainage and relocation of a force main. Two travel lanes will be maintained in order not to disrupt the flow of traffic in the area
– Colonial Blvd (CR 884) Six Laning from I-75 to State Rd 82 (approx. 2.7 miles in length) Construction activities began on Monday, Aug. 10, 2009. Proposed work consists of widening an existing four lane highway facility, to a six lane urbanized divided highway. This will include the installation of street lighting, signalization, bridge widening and utility modifications. Two 8- foot-wide asphalt multi-use sidewalks along the north and south sides of the road will be added.
The tentative completion date is April, 2011.
– Colonial Blvd – Utility work will be ongoing around Treeline Avenue on both the north and south side of Colonial for the next several weeks for relocation of utilities. Work will be ongoing under the I-75 Bridges along Colonial. Construction Traffic is heavy, so please drive through the area with caution.
– Gladiolus Drive Widening from Pine Ridge Road to Winkler Road – Construction activities are continuing on Gladiolus Drive and on Bass Road to widen Gladiolus Drive from 2 lanes to 6 lanes from Winker Road to Bass Road and to 4 lanes from Bass Road to Pine Ridge Road and to widen Bass Road from 2 lanes to 4 lanes from Health Park to Gladiolus Drive. Motorists are advised that a lane reduction is in place on the westbound approach of Gladiolus Drive to Winker Road. Construction activities are currently occurring through out the corridor.
– Gladiolus -Lane closures may occur and will typically be at night time between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. with some work occurring off the roadway during the day. The tentative completion date is Fall, 2010.
– Summerlin Rd. from Cypress Lake Dr. to Boyscout Rd. – work continues on widening the Southbound roadway from north of college to Cypress Lake and on the northbound roadway near Boy Scout Road Work is under way on the bridge piers on the north side of the College Parkway intersection. Work on the retaining wall on the south side has been suspended due to the presence of asbestos and will resume once a determination of the amount and disposable method has been approved. The dual left turn lanes on College Parkway have been reduced to single lefts for this phase of the project to allow for the scaffolding to construct the overpass. The tentative completion date on this project is summer of 2010.
* II. Road/Bridge Maintenance
– Del Prado -LCDOT will perform bridge maintenance on the bridge north of Coronado on Del Prado. This will be night work, which began Oct. 29 and continues until Dec. 24 on Thursday nights, with lane
closures starting at 7:00 pm until 3:30 am.
* III. Landscaping
– Summerlin Road – Landscaping – Lee County DOT Operations will manage the installation of irrigation and landscaping along Summerlin Road, between Sanibel Island and Gladiolus Drive. This project is scheduled to be completed in late December, 2009. Lane closures and traffic impacts may occur.
– Ben Hill Griffin Pkwy. – Landscaping – Lee County DOT Operations will manage the installation of irrigation and landscaping along Ben Hill Griffin Pkwy, in the median just south of Estero Parkway. This project is scheduled to be completed by the end of December 2009. Lane closures and traffic impacts may occur.
* IV. County-Wide Road Resurfacing
– Resurfacing various streets countywide began May 5, 2009 and will last for 12 months.
Source: Lee County Department of Transportation