Roadwatch update: Dec. 3-9
The Lee County Department of Transportation has released its road watch report for Dec. 3 through Dec. 9:
I. Road Projects
* Bonita Beach Road – Road Widening Project East of Bonita Grande Drive -The week of Feb. 2, 2009, construction activities began on the widening of Bonita Beach Road east of Bonita Grande Drive. Construction activities are expected to last until January 2010. Proposed work includes the widening of approximately two miles of Bonita Beach Road from two lanes to four lanes. Work will also include rebuilding portions of the existing two lanes, installation of drainage and relocation of a force main. Two travel lanes will be maintained in order not to disrupt the flow of traffic in the area
* Colonial Boulevard (CR 884) Six Laning from I-75 to State Rd 82 (approx. 2.7 miles in length) Construction activities began on Monday, Aug. 10, 2009. Proposed work consists of widening an existing four lane highway facility, to a six lane urbanized divided highway. This will include the installation of street lighting, signalization, bridge widening and utility modifications. Two 8 foot wide asphalt multi-use sidewalks along the north and south sides of the road will be added. The tentative completion date is April, 2011.
* (New 12/03/09)
* Utility work will be ongoing around Treeline Avenue on both the north and south side of Colonial for the next several weeks relocating utilities. Traffic on Colonial Blvd. will be reduced to one lane in each direction from early evening until 6:00 A.M. each morning on Sunday through Friday nights for the next two weeks beginning Dec. 6 and ending Dec. 18. Major utility, drainage, and water lines will be placed across Colonial at multiple locations during these times Expect minor delays, reduced speeds, and traffic detours along Colonial while this work is ongoing. All work will be taking place in the evening and throughout the night to eliminate day time delays. Traffic is expected to be returned to 4 lanes each morning prior to heavy traffic. Work will be ongoing under the I-75 Bridges along Colonial. Construction
Traffic is heavy, so please drive through the area with caution.
*Gladiolus Drive Widening from Pine Ridge Road to Winkler Road – Construction activities are continuing on Gladiolus Drive and on Bass Road to widen Gladiolus Drive from 2 lanes to 6 lanes from Winker Road to Bass Road and to 4 lanes from Bass Road to Pine Ridge Road and to widen Bass Road from 2 lanes to 4 lanes from Health Park to Gladiolus Drive. Motorists are advised that a lane reduction is in place on the westbound approach of Gladiolus Drive to Winker Road. Construction activities are currently occurring through out the corridor.
* Gladiolus -Lane closures may occur and will typically be at night time between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. with some work occurring off the roadway during the day. The tentative completion date is fall, 2010.
* (New 12/3/09)
* Gladiolus – The contractor has completed utility work in the area of Hagie Drive and has it has
been re-opened to traffic as of December 1, 2009. Effective Dec. 2, northbound traffic will be shifted to the new northbound travel lanes. One lane of traffic will be opened in each direction as work will be conducted in the median of the roadway. Motorist are advised to use be aware of new traffic patterns on Bass Road
* Summerlin Road from Cypress Lake Drive to Boyscout Road – work continues on widening the southbound roadway from north of college to Cypress Lake and on the northbound roadway near Boy Scout Road Work is under way on the bridge piers and the retaining walls on the overpass at College Parkway, The dual left turn lanes on College Pkwy have been reduced to single lefts for this phase of the project to allow for the scaffolding to construct the overpass. The tentative completion date on this project is summer of 2010.
* Sunshine Boulevard at 12th Street W – Intersection improvement construction is underway at this
intersection. Turn lanes are being added to improve the intersection. Motorists are advised that
temporary lane closures may be necessary, and delays are possible. The work is expected to be
completed by late December. Please contact Michael Tisch at 533-8110 with any questions.
* II. Road/Bridge Maintenance
* Del Prado – LCDOT will be performing bridge maintenance on the bridge north of Coronado on Del
Prado. This will be night work that started Oct. 29 and is expected to conclude Dec. 3rd on Thursday nights, with lane closures starting at 7 p.m. until 3:30 a.m.
* III. Landscaping
* Summerlin Road – Landscaping – Lee County DOT Operations will be managing the installation of irrigation and landscaping along Summerlin Road, between Sanibel Island and Gladiolus Drive. This project is scheduled to be completed in late December, 2009. Lane closures and traffic impacts may occur.
* Ben Hill Griffin Pkwy. – Landscaping – Lee County DOT Operations will be managing the installation of irrigation and landscaping along Ben Hill Griffin Pkwy, in the median just south of Estero Parkway This project is scheduled to be completed by the end of December 2009. Lane closures and traffic impacts may occur.
* IV. County-Wide Road Resurfacing
*Resurfacing various streets countywide began May 5, 2009 and will last for 12 months.
Source: Lee County Department of Transportation