Lee County Road Watch update: Nov. 19 – Nov. 25
The Lee County Department of Transportation has released its Road Watch programs for the week of Nov. 19 through Nov. 25:
I. Road Projects
– Bonita Beach Road – Road Widening Project East of Bonita Grande Drive – The week of Feb. 2, construction activities began on the widening of Bonita Beach Road east of Bonita Grande Drive. Construction activities are expected to last until May 2010. Proposed work includes the widening of approximately two miles of Bonita Beach Road from two lanes to four lanes. Work will also include rebuilding portions of the existing two lanes, installation of drainage and relocation of a force main. Two travel lanes will be maintained in order not to disrupt the flow of traffic in the area
– Colonial Blvd (CR 884) Six Laning from I-75 to State Rd 82 (approx. 2.7 miles in length)
Construction activities began on Monday, Aug. 10. Proposed work consists of widening an existing four lane highway facility, to a six lane urbanized divided highway. This will include the installation of street lighting, signalization, bridge widening and utility modifications. Two 8 foot wide asphalt multi-use sidewalks along the north and south sides of the road will be added. The tentative completion date is April, 2011.
– (New 11/17/09) Utility work will be ongoing around Treeline Avenue on both the north and south side of Colonial for the next several weeks relocating utilities. Traffic on Treeline will be detoured to one side of this divided road at the Colonial Intersection for utility work on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights Nov. 23 through 25. Minor delays on Treeline after 7 p.m. may be expected. Work will be ongoing under the I-75 Bridges along Colonial. Construction traffic is heavy, so please drive through the area with caution.
– Gladiolus Drive Widening from Pine Ridge Road to Winkler Road – Construction activities are continuing on Gladiolus Drive and on Bass Road to widen Gladiolus Drive from 2 lanes to 6 lanes from Winker Road to Bass Road and to 4 lanes from Bass Road to Pine Ridge Road and to widen Bass Road from 2 lanes to 4 lanes from Health Park to Gladiolus Drive. Motorists are advised that a lane reduction is in place on the westbound approach of Gladiolus Drive to Winker Road. Construction activities are currently occurring through out the corridor. Lane closures may occur and will typically be at night time between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. with some work occurring off the roadway during the day. The tentative completion date is Fall, 2010.
– Beginning Monday, Nov. 9, Hagie Drive has been closed to traffic from Gladiolus Drive south to Forest Knoll Court as part of the Gladiolus Drive Widening project. This closure is necessary to complete underground utility work, pour curb and pave the intersection. Traffic may use Concourse Drive to Duera Mae to access Hagie Drive south of Forest Knoll Court. This closure is expected to last through mid-December.
– Summerlin Road from Cypress Lake Drive to Boyscout Road – Work continues on widening the Southbound roadway from north of college to Cypress Lake and on the northbound roadway near Boy Scout Road. Workis under way on the bridge piers and the retaining walls on the overpass at College Parkway. The dual left turn lanes on College Pkwy have been reduced to single lefts for this phase of the project to allow for the scaffolding to construct the overpass. The tentative completion date on this project is summer of 2010.
– Sunshine Boulevard at 12th St W – Intersection improvement construction is under way at this intersection. Turn lanes are being added to improve the intersection. Motorists are advised that temporary lane closures may be necessary, and delays are possible. The work is expected to be completed by late December.
II. Road/Bridge Maintenance
– Del Prado – The county will be performing bridge maintenance on the bridge north of Coronado on Del
Prado. This night work started Oct. 29 and is expected to continue to Dec. 3 on Thursday nights, with lane
closures starting at 7 p.m. until 3:30 a.m.
– Summerlin Road – Landscaping – Lee County DOT Operations will be managing the installation of irrigation and landscaping along Summerlin Road, between Sanibel Island and Gladiolus Drive. This project is scheduled to be completed by the end of November. Lane closures and traffic impacts may occur.
IV. County-Wide Road Resurfacing
– Resurfacing various streets countywide began May 5, 2009 and will last for 12 months.
V. County-Wide Sidewalk Construction
– Slater Road Sidewalk – Lee County DOT is constructing a 5′ sidewalk along the east side of Slater Road from Bayshore Road to Mellow Lane. The project began on Monday, April 27, and is scheduled to be completed in November.
VI. Signal Work
– Lee County DOT/Traffic Division will be repairing traffic signals at Daniels & Cross Creek/American Colony, using the Lee County Sheriff’s Office for traffic control, on Nov. 19. Expect delays from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.