Lee County road projects Nov. 12-18
Lee County Road Watch Update, Nov. 12 through Nov. 18
I. Road Projects
* Bonita Beach Road – Road Widening Project East of Bonita Grande Drive -The week of Feb. 2, 2009, construction activities began on the widening of Bonita Beach Road east of Bonita Grande Drive. Construction activities are expected to last until November 2009. Proposed work includes the widening of approximately two miles of Bonita Beach Road from two lanes to four lanes. Work will also include rebuilding portions of the existing two lanes, installation of drainage and relocation of a force main. Two travel lanes will be maintained in order not to disrupt the flow of traffic in the area
* Ongoing work on Bonita Beach Road – Construction is ongoing for the widening of Bonita Beach Road east of Bonita Grande. The contractor is planning on switching traffic onto the newly constructed southerly lanes in front of Worthington Community the week of Nov. 9. This switch is necessary so that the existing roadway in front of the Worthington Community can be demolished and rebuilt. The lane switch is tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, Nov. 11. As part of the traffic switch, some lane closures with flagmen are planned for Wednesday, Nov. 11. When the traffic switch occurs, both eastbound and westbound traffic will travel on the newly constructed southerly lanes of Bonita Beach Rd. Please use caution when travelling this section of Bonita Beach road as traffic flow patterns will be changing. Please contact Eyra Cash at 533-8562 with any questions.
* Colonial Blvd. at Plantation Rd. Extension (Veronica Shoemaker Blvd) – Turn lane improvements to this intersection started on Monday July 6, 2009. Please use caution when approaching this intersection as men and equipment will be working in close proximity to the edge of the road along with intermittent lane closures. The tentative completion date is the end of November, 2009. Please contact Mike Rigsby at 533-8513, with any question or comments.
* Colonial Blvd (CR 884) Six Laning from I-75 to State Rd 82 (approx. 2.7 miles in length) Construction activities began on Monday, August 10, 2009. Proposed work consists of widening an existing four lane highway facility, to a six lane urbanized divided highway. This will include the installation of street lighting, signalization, bridge widening and utility modifications. Two 8 foot wide asphalt multi-use sidewalks along the north and south sides of the road will be added. The tentative completion date is April, 2011.
* (New 11/12/09)
* Utility work will be ongoing around Treeline Avenue on both the north and south side of Colonial for the next several weeks relocating utilities. Traffic on Colonial Country Club Blvd. will be detoured to one side of this divided road at the Colonial Intersection for utility work this week. Work will be ongoing under the I-75 Bridges along Colonial. Construction Traffic is heavy, so please drive through the area with caution.
* Gladiolus Drive Widening from Pine Ridge Road to Winkler Road – Construction activities are continuing on Gladiolus Drive and on Bass Road to widen Gladiolus Drive from 2 lanes to 6 lanes from Winker Road to Bass Road and to 4 lanes from Bass Road to Pine Ridge Road and to widen Bass Road from 2 lanes to 4 lanes from Health Park to Gladiolus Drive. Motorists are advised that a lane reduction is in place on the westbound approach of Gladiolus Drive to Winker Road. Construction activities are currently occurring through out the corridor. Lane closures may occur and will typically be at night time between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. with some work occurring off the roadway during the day. The tentative completion date is Fall, 2010.
* Beginning Monday, Nov. 9, Hagie Drive has been closed to traffic from Gladiolus Drive south to Forest Knoll Court as part of the Gladiolus Drive Widening project. This closure is necessary to complete underground utility work, pour curb and pave the intersection. Traffic may use Concourse Drive to Duera Mae to access Hagie Drive south of Forest Knoll Court. This closure is expected to last through mid-December.
* Summerlin Road from Cypress Lake Drive to Boyscout Road – work continues on widening the Southbound roadway from north of college to Cypress Lake and on the northbound roadway near Boy Scout Road. Work is under way on the bridge piers and the retaining walls on the overpass at College Pkwy. The dual left turn lanes on College Pkwy have been reduced to single lefts for this phase of the project to allow for the scaffolding to construct the overpass. The tentative completion date on this project is summer of 2010.
* Sunshine Blvd at 12th St W – Intersection improvement construction is underway at this intersection. Turn lanes are being added to improve the intersection. Motorists are advised that temporary lane closures may be necessary, and delays are possible. The work is expected to be completed by late December.
II. Road/Bridge Maintenance
* Del Prado -We will be performing bridge maintenance on the bridge north of Coronado on Del Prado. This will be night work starting Oct. 29th until Dec. 3 on Thursday nights, with lane closures starting at 7 p.m. until 3:30 a.m.
* Summerlin Road – Landscaping – Lee County DOT Operations will be managing the installation of irrigation and landscaping along Summerlin Road, between Sanibel Island and Gladiolus Drive. This project is scheduled to be completed by the end of November, 2009. Lane closures and traffic impacts may occur.
IV. County-Wide Road Resurfacing
Resurfacing various streets countywide began May 5, 2009 and will last for 12 months.
V. County-Wide Sidewalk Construction
* Brantley Rd. – Barrier and sidewalk project – Work is continuing to install a guardrail along the south side of Brantley Rd. from US 41 to Summerlin Rd. Two culverts that are deteriorating will be replaced and a sidewalk constructed where gaps exist on the north side of Brantley. Traffic will be maintained but may be reduced to one lane intermittently to install the culverts and guardrail. The project is expected to be complete this fall.
* Brantley Road -(New 11/12/09)
Brantley Road will be closed to through traffic overnight Monday, Nov. 16, 2009 to make repairs to a pipe crossing under Brantley Road. A pipe crossing under Brantley Road has deteriorated and must be replaced. The work can be accomplished in one overnight period rather than over a period of several days with one lane traffic for the duration.
The road will be closed at the pipe crossing location between Forest Wood East/New Brittany Boulevard and Forrest Wood West/World Plaza Lane. The closure will from 6:30 pm Monday, Nov. 16, to 6 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 17. 1
Traffic can approach Forrest Wood West/New Brittany from Summerlin Road or Forrest Wood East/World Plaza Lane from U.S 41 but will not be able to cross through the work area
* Slater Road Sidewalk – Lee County DOT is constructing a 5′ sidewalk along the east side of Slater Road from Bayshore Road to Mellow Lane. The project began on Monday, April 27, 2009, and is scheduled to be completed in November, 2009.
Source: Lee County Department of Transportation