homepage logo

Police search for suspect in death investigation

By Staff | Apr 1, 2009

A body discovered in a Cape Coral home Monday morning has been identified by police as 27-year-old Shannon Michelle Sweet.
A warrant for the arrest of Sweet’s live-in boyfriend, Matthew Franklin Gullett, 29, has been issued. He is wanted on the charge of second-degree homicide.
Sweet’s decaying body was discovered by police in a unit of the apartment building at 4921 Coronado Parkway at about 7:56 a.m., after a neighbor reported a foul odor coming from the unit, according to city spokesperson Connie Barron.
Sweet and Gullet lived in Unit 3 of the building, she said.
At the time the police department had ruled Sweet’s death suspicious, but had not indicated it was a homicide.
The manner in which Sweet was killed had not yet been revealed Tuesday night.
Barron said the condition of Sweet’s body initially made it difficult for the District 21 Medical Examiner’s Office to identify her.
Gullett’s whereabouts were unknown as of Tuesday night.
Police are asking anyone with information about his location or the case to contact the Cape Coral Police Department at 574-3223 or Southwest Florida Crime Stoppers at (800) 780-TIPS (8477).
Brandon Thornburg, a resident who lives at a neighboring apartment building, told the Cape Coral Daily Breeze on Monday that he had met a “Matt” the previous Saturday and knew Matt had a girlfriend, “Shannon,” whom he had never met.
“He came over and asked me if I had a cigarette,” he said. “He asked me how much I paid for my apartment. I was drinking a beer, but he said he doesn’t drink.”
Thornburg said he knew another resident of the apartment building, “Ginny,” who told him she had smelled the decaying body and was at the police station talking with officers Monday afternoon.
According to police documents, Ginny Lee is a resident of the apartment building where Sweet’s body was found.
Lee did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment.
A previous death in the same apartment building occurred in June, according to police documents.
Barron said the 2008 death was caused by a drug overdose.
Documents show the deceased was a former resident.