homepage logo

Cape man and uncle accused of burglarizing relative’s home, fleeing police

By Staff | Jan 1, 2009

Two men were arrested after police say they burglarized a North Fort Myers mobile home, led deputies on a high-speed chase and struck several vehicles Tuesday.
Trent Calvin Parker, 20, of 1942 N.E. 15th Street, was charged with fleeing and eluding police, leaving the scene of a crash, driving with a suspended driver’s license, aggravated assault on an officer, theft $300 or more but less than $5,000 and burglary of an unoccupied dwelling.
Daniel Boyd Johnson, 47, of Sarasota, was charged with theft $300 or more but less than $5,000 and burglary of an unoccupied dwelling.
Johnson is Parker’s uncle, according to police reports.
Parker and Johnson are accused of breaking into a home where Parker’s father lives in the Serendipity Mobile Home Park in North Fort Myers, Sheriff’s deputies reported. Deputies were contacted about the crime at approximately 12:10 p.m.
Various items were taken from the unoccupied home, including a flat-screen television, a receiver and a DVD player.
Neighbors of the victims and community management became suspicious after reportedly witnessing Parker and Johnston remove the items from the home and load them into Johnston’s van.
Parker and Johnston fled the scene at a high rate of speed, smashing through the park’s front gate and fleeing deputies southbound on North Cleveland Avenue, reports state.
Parker struck a vehicle during the chase, knocking free a bicycle attached to the back of the van before fleeing over the Caloosahatchee Bridge, deputies said.
Parker swerved and struck the driver’s side of a marked sheriff’s cruiser, at which point the officer was able to pin the van against a concrete barrier wall and end the pursuit, according to reports.
Parker’s father and another resident of the burglarized home requested Parker and Johnson be prosecuted, as they were not given permission to enter the home or remove the owners’ items.
Parker remained in custody at the Lee County Jail Thursday evening on a combined $107,000 bond, according to jail booking records.
Johnson also remained in custody on $9,000 bond, records show.