Rec Center celebrates 365 days of success
More than 150 people were in attendance at Monday’s first anniversary celebration of the Sanibel Recreation Center, where during the past year the facility has become synonymous with an active island community.
“One year ago, many people were saying a prayer that enough people would come to this recreation center and make it a success,” said Mayor Mick Denham in his opening remarks. “One year later, we can clearly see that those prayers have been answered.”
Along with Denham, fellow councilmen Jim Jennings, Marty Harrity and Kevin Ruane attended the celebratory event, along with City Manager Judie Zimomra, who appeared with the Sanibel Community Band.
As usual, the band — under the direction of Don Knowland — provided the musical pomp and excitement they have become known for.
Following the playing of “The Star Spangled Banner” and “God Bless America,” Vice Mayor Ruane offered his reflections of the day.
“You look at this building, you look at these children here, you look at this event and I’ve got to think, ‘Wow!’ What a great accomplishment!” he said.
Harrity, who noted many of the citizens responsible for helping bring the Sanibel Recreation Center to reality among the attending crowd, also pointed out that the project received more than 70 percent support from islanders.
“This was a collaborative effort of not just the citizens of Sanibel, but also The Sanibel School and the Lee County Board of Commissioners,” Harrity said. “It took all of us to get this done.”
After some prompting from Denham, a small group of children sang “Happy Birthday” — backed by the Sanibel Community Band — before everyone in attendance was offered a piece of birthday cake.
Monday’s celebration kicked off a month-long slate of activities for Member Appreciation Month, which furthers the Center’s “Fit 4 Life” theme. Among the activities planned in December:
• Monday, Dec. 8 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. — Sanibel Fitness Body
• Tuesday, Dec. 9 from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. — Bloodmobile
• Thursday, Dec. 11 from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. — Lee County EMS Ambulance Tours, Bike/Pedestrian Safety
• Sunday, Dec. 14 from 1 to 3 p.m. — Santa and Mrs. Claus visit. Bring your
camera, Santa wish list and a bathing suit. Snacks will be provided.
• Monday, Dec. 15 from 9 to 9:45 a.m. — Carol Simontacchi “A History of Food”
• Tuesday, Dec. 16 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Dubin Alzheimer’s Memory
Screenings until noon, followed by Maximize Your Memory Presentation.
• Wednesday, Dec. 17 from 12:30 to 5:30 p.m. — Lions Club Vision and Hearing Screening
• Monday, Dec. 22 from 2 to 7 p.m. — Audible Hearing Centers Ear Canal Optoscope
• Saturday, Dec. 31 from 7 to 10 p.m. — New Year’s Eve Sock Hop, a family
friendly non-alcoholic event. Games, music and light snacks.