Rec Center to celebrate first birthday on Monday
It may be a festive time of year, but the Sanibel Recreation Center’s upcoming celebration isn’t just another holiday party.
All islanders are encouraged to grab their favorite lawn chair and head down to the Rec Center this Monday, Dec. 1 at 3:30 p.m. for some music, singing, fun and birthday cake!
The Rec Center is celebrating its first anniversary in classic “island style,”
with free festivities including a concert by the BIG Arts Community Band, followed by a celebration ceremony, the singing of “Happy Birthday!” and the
aforementioned cake. As if all that weren’t enough, members of the celebrating public will also be treated to an art show of works completed by local youngsters enrolled in the Rec Center’s After-School Program. And for Sanibel residents and visitors who have never had a chance to see the Rec Center in person, tours will be available.
Monday’s celebration kicks off a month-long slate of activities for Member Appreciation Month, which furthers the Center’s “Fit 4 Life” theme. Following is a list of activities:
• Wednesday, Dec. 3 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Lee County Healthy Heart Blood Pressure Screenings
• Monday, Dec. 8 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. — Sanibel Fitness Body
• Wednesday, Dec. 10 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Blood Mobile
• Sunday, Dec. 14 from 1 to 3 p.m. — Santa and Mrs. Claus visit. Bring your
camera, Santa wish list and a bathing suit. Snacks will be provided.
• Tuesday, Dec. 16 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Dubin Alzheimer’s Memory
Screenings until noon, followed by Maximize Your Memory Presentation.
• Wednesday, Dec. 17 from 12:30 to 5:30 p.m. — Lions Club Vision and Hearing Screening
• Monday, Dec. 22 from 2 to 7 p.m. — Audible Hearing Centers Ear Canal Optoscope
• Saturday, Dec. 31 from 7 to 10 p.m. — New Year’s Eve Sock Hop, a family
friendly non-alcoholic event. Games, music and light snacks.
(Note: Health screenings are all open to the public, along with daily tours of the Rec Center. Call 472-0345 with any questions.)