homepage logo

Cape police: Home burglary leads to high-speed chase, one arrest

By Staff | May 28, 2008

After police arrested a male suspect in the burglary of a north Cape Coral home Tuesday afternoon, the passenger of his white van took control of the vehicle and fled the scene, leading police on a high-speed pursuit into Fort Myers, nearly running over an officer and causing two minor crashes along the way, according to Cape Coral Police Department spokesperson Dyan Lee.

Though police had not charged a second suspect as of Tuesday evening, a person of interest was brought into custody following the chase.

The initial suspect is charged with occupied burglary.

Police were reportedly dispatched to a burglary-in-progress of a home along Northwest 20th Place at 12:01 p.m. Tuesday. Witnesses are said to have seen two males knock at the door of the residence, and when no one answered they broke in, Lee said.

A woman inside the home fled from the rear of the residence and called police from a neighbor’s home, police said.

Officers pulled over a white van fitting witness descriptions a few blocks from the scene and arrested the driver at about 12:15 p.m., at which point the passenger sped off with the van and attempted to run over a police officer, said Lee.

The passenger drove the van down Chiquita Boulevard to Pine Island Road, across Pondella Road into North Fort Myers and over the Edison Bridge to Fort Myers, but officers could not continue pursuit due to unsafe driving speeds, Lee said.

Along the way, the driver caused two minor accidents without injuries and was pursued by Fort Myers police after crossing the bridge. FMPD took a person of interest into custody but it is not clear if that person is the same as the driver of the van or was involved in the burglary.

The names of the suspect and person of interest had not yet been revealed by police as of Tuesday evening.

Homeowners of the reportedly burglarized home were not available by telephone Tuesday afternoon to discuss the incident.

The initial suspect has been taken to the Lee County Jail, and investigations continue into a second suspect, police said Tuesday.