The people’s choice award went to 14-year-old Kyle Zubriggen for his Springtime Jazz, a hot latte with caramel, chocolate and vanilla flavors. Earning first place in the challenge was Tara Kane, 15, with her Strawberry Mochaccino, a strawberry smoothie with chocolate and vanilla blended.
For the competition, drinks could range from an espresso-based, tea-based or smoothie-based beverage. Any ingredients within the coffee bar were eligible for use in the challenge. Last year, the baristas were commissioned to create a new drink, which was based on creativity and taste – same as this year. The winner of the fall challenge in October 2010 was Maddy Maloy with her Irish Cream Mocha Bianca.
This year’s judges consisted of Sanibel locals and some who entered the Coffee Bar @ Bailiey’s "Be the Judge" contest held throughout April. Each judge was considered to be a knowledgeable coffee enthusiast.
The Coffee Bar serves smoothies, lattes, and of course, coffee. It is open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days a week.
Two of the youngest barristas in the challenge won bragging rights with their winning creations. Kyle Zurbriggen, 14, won people’s choice with his Springtime Jazz creation, while Tara Kane, 15, took first place in the challenge with her Strawberry Mochaccino drink. There were seven talented baristas in this year’s challenge.
Fact BoxSeven talented baristas entered the following drinks into the third annual Barista Challenge hosted by the Coffee Bar @ Baileys.
1. White Goblin, made by Jeret Foshee – A white chocolate blended drink with espresso
2. Home Made Vanilla Shake by Quinton Foshee – Rich thick vanilla blended up…could be mistaken for ice cream
3. Strawberry Mochaccino by Tara Kane – Strawberry smoothie, chocolate and vanilla blended
4. Blended Hazel Chai by Micah Foshee – Hazelnut and chai concentrate, blended with milk and ice
5. Vanilla Jolt by KJ Lynch – Vanilla, cream and espresso made over ice to drink in a shot
6. Springtime Jazz by Kyle Zurbriggen – hot latte with caramel, chocolate and vanilla flavors
7. Sunset Raspberry-Vanilla by Mimi Gill – Raspberry, vanilla espresso and milk in an iced latte